Peeks

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cleaning up your headspace

I have been doing a mass declutter. I have thrown out a huge selection of pictures, drawings, papers, bills, and things I don't use. I am not even finished yet but there is now more room for us to live in our house.

How often is it that you think you know something about something and then when asked about it, well, you can't really define how it works. With drawing and painting for that matter, you will often need to return to the object of interest and re-look at it. Learning techniques to portray the surface of that object will help. If you were drawing a smooth sphere, you would not want to cross hatch unless the spaces between the hatch is very tight and gives an impression of smooth. Otherwise, a selection of shades, using the side of the charcoal may create the impression of smooth.

I guess what I am saying is that we all come with pre-conceived ideas about how some thing looks and is, when we haven't carefully observed it.

Also learning from others and reading about techniques and styles can give you new ideas for your own style of drawing.

Learn proportions of objects and don't be afraid to let your art appreciators imagine that there is an arm or leg beyond the border of the page edge, don't try to fit the whole image on the page, especially if working on a smaller scale.

I recently recieved an email from American Artist who run a site called Artist Daily, I get little clues on creating from them. I recently saw an artist's work that uses simple strokes to create the most amazing short sketches. This just reminds me to keep it simple, to draw in solid shapes to capture the essence of the figure.

Now all I have to do, is actually get it right myself. I have had lots of experience drawing, but I am still learning. It is just a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment