Peeks

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Less is more

Ok, so I bought a 2 bedroom flat with my hubs. I am addicted to making stuff and I know that I can't stop making. So the focus is on making a new space and making things that improve the environment.

We've been looking at light fittings and I am dreaming every day about what can be done but I always find myself making more toys and beautiful things for my little girl.

Last night I made her 2 mobiles. One from felt and beads and one from some small stuffed animals she had in a box. She has so many toys and I can't stop myself from making more. I love cutesy! (At least the second one was made with things she already had (her toy box is overflowing so I sorted that out).

I also love an immaculately designed open space with lots of light that makes a person feel refreshed and inspired. I am desperate for a space like this but need the dough to make it happen. I have to tell myself that I don't need all these things that are causing clutter and also until the roof is fixed and paid off I need to hold up. How do you ask a momma at home to stop making awesome toys and things for her gorgeous little poppet? I find this insanely difficult. Because everywhere I go, there is a culture of consumption and excess! I drove hubs to work and on the way back to get him there it is! The Burger King sign yelling my name! Very loud and very clear! I have food at home. But my urges push me to the fast food restaurant like I haven't had food for days! I managed to get passed without going in or buying food but at the petrol station I saw a sign on the pump itself with a new type of Kit Kat. It was enough to get me to buy one. I am weak when it comes to chocolate! Anyways, back to this culture of excess! I want to believe I have everything I need but the drive to have more doesn't lead a person to happiness. My home, my brain , my sanctuary is a place where many would get lost among the many treasures carefully selected but not given a place in my world. It would appear that I have too much (I do have too much). I don't need the take-aways, I don't need a heap of paintings and artworks yet I have the crazy urge to create and 90% of the time I am creating things I already have an excess of. Time to put my energies into creating a clear uncluttered, inspired space that encourages living and not a culture of "more is more". Anyone who has any suggestions, please feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment